Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Day 5: Tues, September 28, 2010


Day 5: Tuesday, September 28, 2010
We decided that we’d just wake up whenever we woke up and hit Arches at that time…
For some reason that worked better than setting alarms. Who knew?

We headed back into Arches before 8AM and shot for the Windows section again. Our goal was to get a shot (seen above) that is a classic shot, though it takes some scrambling up some rocks behind the North Window that they don’t necessarily like people to do. I have really enjoyed climbing these rocks, though I don’t think its something I could see myself doing straight up the face of a giant rock… Anyway, we got a few decent shots, though I am getting frustrated with the lack of clouds!
Next up, we headed to the northern part of the park, the Devils Garden, and hiked up to Landscape Arch. It was a beautiful little hike, and the arch, I believe the longest in the world, was pretty awesome. Along the way, several people commented on my North Carolina State U T-shirt that I happened to have on, including a Virginia Tech alum who conceded that we’ll kick their butts In football this weekend. I said ‘I sure hope so!’ ha ha ha. Another couple asked where in NC I was from and seemed disappointed when I told her I wasn’t from there at all. Sorry lady!


After the nice little 2 mile hike, we headed back into Moab to grab lunch at the Moab Brewery. Our first restaurant meal in a few days. I had a delicious burger and some great French fries along with a beer from the brewery. No idea what it was but it was tasty!


Following lunch we headed down to the Lazy Lizard International Hostel and checked in for our two night stay in a cabin. It’s a pretty chill place with old hippies everywhere. (Winger insists its where old hippies go to die). Its got a bunk bed, a lamp, table, chair and electricity. Not much more you can ask for..OH its got A/C too, and in the last few days where it reached upper 90’s its welcome!
Speaking of 90’s, I spoke to my friend Steph back in Rhode Island and she commiserated about the rain they were getting back in New England. Believe me, I would have taken a little rain!

We rested up for a bit before heading back on the road. We got a pamphlet from the Moab information center that had some local Indian Art to look for and we headed up Potash road. It was pretty disappointing for the first few stops, but heading back towards town, we found a great display of art right along the road. Definitely worth a stop.


Our final destination for the day was Delicate Arch, pretty much the symbol of Utah and on most of their license plates. Due to the heat and exhaustion, we resigned to hiking the ½ mile to the Arch viewpoint rather than the arch itself to catch last light. The ½ mile was pretty much straight up and was pretty exhausting. The sun, elevation and fact that neither one of us are in really good shape was starting to catch up with us by the time we reached the viewing area. It was a pretty cool view of the arch and also the hundred or so people standing around the arch, they all looked like ants!


After the sun set, we headed back into town to grab some groceries and dinner at Paradox Pizza. Some of the best Pizza I’ve had in a long time, check ‘em out if you’re ever in town!

No comments:

Post a Comment