Thursday, September 30, 2010

Day 6: Wednesday, September 29, 2010 - Humbling


Humbling

Tuesday morning Winger decided to sleep in, so I got up early to catch sunrise at Dead Horse Point State Park. I got on the road at about 5:45 and to the park around 6:30. Only one other guy was there at the time I arrived, and it was the most silent and peaceful time I’ve experienced in a long time. I found a spot to set up, away from the other guy and got some pretty cool shots of the river gooseneck and some trees in the foreground. I’m starting to compose photos better, get an idea in my mind instead of just fire away. While setting up, I managed to take a few moments to relax and enjoy the view. I thought of my dad and how much of the country he got to see in his day. We had talked about visiting some of the parks out here, but never got around to it.
I climbed back up a few rocks to head back to Moab and smashed my knee on some sandstone. Little did I know it was a sign of things to come! After paying the park entrance fee and using the bathroom at the visitors center (which didn’t open until 8, along with all of the bathrooms in the park, quick sidebar: if you have the option to go to the bathroom before leaving, do it, don’t ever assume they’ll be open!), I headed back to the Lazy Lizard where Wings was still asleep (I was somewhat envious, but I think I had the better morning!)

We decided Wednesday would be laundry day and Winger did all of the laundry for both of us at a Laundromat nearby while I took a nice nap.

Our goal for the afternoon was to head to Canyonlands National Park and find False Kiva, a class 2 archaeological site that isn’t listed on maps, or advertised, but the rangers are required to give you information on how to find it if you ask for it directly. I had read and seen about it on websites and in the book “Photographing the Southwest”, a series of books that inspired me and gave me ideas for this trip….
I had read that it could be difficult to find, and it was strenuous coming back from the site. I had no idea what we were in store for until we began the trek. We both realized that there are limitations to what we can do, and that neither one of us are in the kind of shape that would allow us to continue on the journey. Unfortunately, this didn’t come until we were 2/3 of the way there and realized that we’d have to climb back up a hefty slope of rocks and trees at elevation and in pretty high heat. It was humbling but we decided to turn around before continuing along a path that might have been dangerous. I don’t have any regrets, but am motivated to get back there! The ranger said that at least ½ of the people who look for it do not find it on their first try and we found it, and knew how to get there. I will be back!

After a precarious climb back to the top where we parked, we decided it’d be overlook stops in the rest of the park. We were both exhausted and wanted to head back home but we were in one of the most beautiful places in the area, and wanted to see some more sites. I managed to get a few decent shots of Grand View Point, the classic Canyonlands shot, and we headed back to Moab for an early night.

1 comment: